Working at social networking

20 Jan

There’s a lot of buzz about that movie The Social Network. Have you seen it? I have not. I am pretty much going to have to break up with my significant other and start dating again and get asked out to the movies by someone amazingly hot before I am going to actually go to a movie theater again. So, I won’t be seeing The Social Network until it comes out on DVD in February.

The Social Network is almost certainly going to win the Oscar for Best Picture. It is a movie about the guys who created Facebook. Mark Zuckerberg, who is the Steve Jobs of Facebook was Time magazine’s Person of the Year. Facebook is a big deal. Social networking is now a huge part of our culture. Famous people post stuff on Facebook and Twitter and it gets reported in the media. Sara Palin’s tweets make news.

When I first began playing around on the Internet, the first online community  I became involved with was not a social networking site. It was a message board. It was called Is He/She Gay?  I don’t remember how I stumbled across it. The message board was a place for people to post gossip about famous people–specifically to speculate over whether or not Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Jodi Foster, etc. were gay or not. Since it was anonymous, people often posted so called personal experiences with various celebrities (as if) or friend of a friend eye witness accounts about celebrities. If you read that board long enough you found out that yes, pretty much anyone you wanted to think was gay, was gay. But amidst the gossip and silliness, many posters would more or less chat about movies and life in general. A bit of a community formed. It turned out to be ephemeral in the scheme of things, but it was my first experience being part of an online community.

The first actual social network I ever joined was Friendster. I just tried to log back into Friendster for the first time in years and Friendster wasn’t so friendly about having me back. Couldn’t find my email or password. I didn’t really do too much with the Friendster profile.  I don’t think I met a living soul.

Then I joined Myspace.  That was a lot of fun for a while. I experienced my first online drama on Myspace. I also started blogging there. I met some very cool people and some not so nice people. Myspace was a valuable experience. I put that in the past tense, even though I still have a profile there. Since it got a facelift in an effort to compete with Facebook, Myspace has lost its luster. I rarely log in there anymore and when I do, I get frustrated by all of the crap I have to wade through just to get to  the good parts.

Now, like every other sentient being on the planet, I have a profile on Facebook. I also have a profile on Twitter that I set up on a whim but never ever use. Frankly, I may never get the appeal of Tweeting.

Over the years I have, often on a whim, joined a number of social network sites: Linked in, Sparks People, Tumblr, Gaywatch, Daily Om, Gay.com, Library Thing, The Tricycle Community, My Life, Bikedate, and most recently, Friendburst. There are others too, I just don’t remember them all. And don’t ask me what these sites are like because I have spent little time on any of them.

I will join a social network on a whim, but I lack follow through.

In non-cyber life, I am a bit of a loner. Not the kind of loner that shoots people and then when CNN comes around all the neighbors say, “He was a loner!” but a loner, none the less. In non-cyber life, I don’t really socially network all that much. I get invites to events. I just got one yesterday. “Bring your business card and $25 and meet other professionals in Jacksonville! There will be alcohol!”

I have the $25 bucks but I lack the inclination to attend. Even if there will be alcohol…

Perhaps I should make more of an effort. Should I worry that I don’t network enough? Will I one day find myself alone, bitter, wishing I had networked when I had the chance?”You’re too old now! No one will network with you anymore!” will come the voice in my head.

Then I’ll log onto the Internet and find some new social networking site like Oldster.com or Bitter Old Man Burst, and I will feel better. At least for a little while…

Happy Thursday (really? Already? Where did the week go?)

14 Responses to “Working at social networking”

1. That Weather Girl January 20, 2011 at 7:01 am #

Back in the golden age of myspace, it was fun. Speaking of which, I really need to get all of my blogs moved from myspace to …. somewhere.

Facebook doesn’t seem to be all that interesting in my opinion. And like you, I just don’t get Twitter at all.

• catzenspace January 20, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

Moving blogs is a real chore, especially now that Myspace has been renovated. I think we should do it soon because who knows if MS won’t up and delete them one day or the whole thing might crash or something…

2. Lisa January 20, 2011 at 7:12 am #

“The Social Network” is out on DVD now, Hon. I picked it up from Redbox and we watched it last night. I will be pretty upset if it wins Best Picture, but it was worth the $1.05 in rental fees.

I feel very much the same as you about social networking and have a completely neglected Twitter account as well. Seems like I was the very LAST person to join FB (finally caving in and setting up a profile after my poor daughter insisted I do so; she was tired of fielding inqueries from my friends and passing along their hellos and random messages everytime she logged in to her account.)

• catzenspace January 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

See, I trusted Netflix when they told me The Social Network wouldn’t be out until Feb. 8. I think different outlets are making various deals with the movie distributors. I know Blockbuster is bragging that they get certain movies before Netflix. At any rate, I can wait.

I am so glad you joined Facebook! I missed you!

3. Wendy SMith January 20, 2011 at 8:10 am #

aww, the days of MySpace. They were fun for awhile, but it just got bad over there. I think especially for those of us in the blogosphere. Drama all the time. Some of us just wanted to write. Not worry about page refreshing or if Stephanie was able to secure a(nother) boyfriend. But I am really liking facebook. I dont allow as many people over here as I did over there. It is played much closer to my vest in this environment. Thanks for writing this morning!

• catzenspace January 20, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

I am a tad more circumspect on FB myself since I have to use my actual real name. I am glad you transitioned to FB. You are one of the online friends I would hate to lose touch with!

4. Queenie~ January 20, 2011 at 9:49 am #

Hey bill…I like you just the way you are..myspace was my first social network..I stilloss it..I miss all the highly creative people there..I miss cat zen..dulcy…shirtless John..the drama…I miss the community of poets I got to know there…I miss jd’s blog…Iuss the connection I had with my CYBER friends…Iuss not feeling like I was being censored….but it is a ghost town there…o do not miss the stalker issues we had for a year and a half..she even stalked my daughter in college..I do like fb bcuz it is so easy to stay connected with my two oldest kids back in the states but it will never be what myspace was…I miss the naughty mature of myspace also… love the blog..brought back the “good ole days”….cheers and oop la la car zen~

5. Queenie~ January 20, 2011 at 9:51 am #

Hope my comment made it~

6. Fred January 20, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Happy Thursday.

I’m not ready to give up my FB account. I feel comfortable going there and venting. (only a few people there read it, but at least it is out there in cyber-space and when I’m gone and they ask, what happened and who was he, it will be there, presumably). It’s true all the good bloggers, like yourself, have left and that means the rest of us who like to read what you write have to go on the hunt but at least we know who we are hunting for and not just some idea of what we’re looking for. I canceled my twitter account … gee how many time do I need to write it down: “I’m sitting at my computer, mopping about ’cause I can’t breath and trying to get my mind off it. I’m not well.”

• catzenspace January 20, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

I am glad we’ve kept up with each other. Despite my cynical tone, I am grateful for the friends I have met online and would hate to lose touch. Twitter only makes sense to me if you have something to sell. No one needs to know anyone else’s every move!

7. Pamela N Red January 20, 2011 at 11:36 am #

They do seem to go in cycles. I think the downfall of MySpace happened when they sold to Fox.

I haven’t figured out the appeal of twitter either. Knowing a person’s every move, what they ate and how many times they go to the bathroom seems a bit much to me.

• catzenspace January 21, 2011 at 6:56 am #

I completely agree! So glad you and I wandered over to FB together.

8. Cindy N January 20, 2011 at 10:42 pm #

I (thankfully) discovered your blogs during my stay on MySpace. I deleted my account there yesterday, as well as my Friendburst account. I’ll stick to Facebook and email…..and here, of course. The changes ruined MS and ran everyone off. Friendburst just doesn’t feel right.
    Oldster.com….LOL….let me know if you ever run across it!

• catzenspace January 21, 2011 at 6:57 am #

I can’t get into Friendburst! My password doesn’t work and their email to reset it never seems to reach my mailbox. I am in Friendburst limbo.