Obessing about obsession

18 Jan

Sometimes I worry that I am not obsessive enough. When I was a kid I was obsessed with Dark Shadows and comic books. I remember my obsession quotient ebbing as I got older. Maybe my memory is poor, and I just might check this out against my teenage journals, but I am pretty sure I wasn’t all that obsessed with anything in my teen years other than surviving my teen years. I was pretty certain life was going to get a lot easier after high school. I was wrong, but it kept me going through the lowest points of my adolescent angst.

I guess, in retrospect, life did get better after my teen years. Perhaps it got richer–it certainly got more complicated. Plus, there was more sex.

Now that I think about it, maybe I have been obsessed before. There was that guy that time that I was pretty much stalking…Well, not stalking so much as following. Well, not following so much as “coincidentally being at the same place at the same time as he was” because through mere observation I had somewhat discerned where he lived and worked. This was before the Internet and stalking required a lot more good old fashioned footwork than it does now. Actually, that was more of a hobby than an obsession. I mean, I didn’t lose sleep over this guy or anything.

Maybe I just don’t understand the true meaning of obsession. Maybe it is a lot less intense than I think it is. Maybe some of my piques of interest were actually full blown obsessions and I just didn’t realize it. Maybe I don’t just like sushi, maybe I am obsessed with sushi, for example.

No, I just like sushi. That’s pretty much the extent of our relationship. Nothing personal, sushi.

Should Facebook add an Obsessed button to go right next to the Like button?  If they did, would I ever push it?

Maybe I am confusing obsession with passion. Not sure how much of that I have either. People say they are “passionate” about a cause or a performer and that sounds a little obsessive to me.  I don’t think I am passionate about anything. Does that mean I am just a dried up barren old fool in dire need of hormone treatments?

Maybe. Or more precisely, not to be too pathetic or to put too fine a point on it, maybe I am a bit cynical. Having navigated the more complicated waters of life post-adolescence, post-college, post-midlife and other posts in between, I have learned not too get too worked up about people, places, things. They will disappoint you.  At least sometimes.I am not sure that being even keeled about most things is such a bad way to be. It’s just that movies and songs make obsession look so darn sexy.

Maybe I’ll dig into my old journals and see if I used to dabble in obsession more than I remember. Maybe get a sense of what that was like

Perhaps, as an experiment, I need to put some effort into working up a real passion and then maybe I can foment that passion into a real obsession.

Any suggestions?

Happy Tuesday

9 Responses to “Obessing about obsession”

1. Roxann January 18, 2011 at 5:59 am #

I am pretty obsessed with Farmville, I would say! I do two farms on here every day. I am pretty obsessed with my daughter/grandkids, too. And pictures- I am kinda over the top on those everywhere.

2. Carla January 18, 2011 at 6:17 am #

I really LIKE this blog….

3. Fred January 18, 2011 at 7:10 am #

For what its worth … you sound normal to me.

4. Mike January 18, 2011 at 8:18 am #

Your passions are those things that make your heart sing and they become an obsession when nothing else will do to the extent of all else. Writing and photography are two of my passions….when I call out sick at work so I can write and shoot more pics……I’m on the road to obsession. Perhaps that is the key to passing through an open door? When nothing else works. Try it on and let me know how it fits. Mike

5. Wendy SMith January 18, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Passion… it lies in all of us. Sleeping, waiting, and though unwanted, unbidden, it will stir, open its jaws, and howl. It speaks to us, guides us… passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments; the joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we’d know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank… without passion, we’d be truly dead. ~~Angelus

I think we know I am obsessed with Neil Diamond and Buffy. In a scary sort of way.

I am so glad you are writing again.

• Mike January 18, 2011 at 9:09 am #

…….”passion is the source of our finest moments………..” I like that. I think back to the best, the very best. The moments that pulled me in and I hoped to get lost IN that moment. Life is just lots of little moments strung together – so I had to return to those that leave me here…….but never really here.

I have many passions that define who I am – the rest is what most everyone else sees. I always write – you must have me confused with another Mike. See my blogs. 🙂

6. Jinx January 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

If obsession is a “a persistent preoccupation, idea, or feeling,” then I suppose I’ve been guilty on more than one occasion. Nothing wrong with it, I suppose, as long as it doesn’t leave one standing in snowdrifts beneath windowsills.

Actually, a good, healthy obsession can do wonders for the soul. Not sure if I have any suggestions, but personally, I’ve gone through the gelato, Maui, photography phases thus far 🙂

7. That Weather Girl January 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

I am obsessed with the weather. Is is going to rain? Will it be warm? Will I be able to garden? What about taking photos? Is the sunrise going to happen at the same time as the high tide? I could go on but I think you get it.

8. Mike R. January 21, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

Like That Weather Girl I obsess about the weather. ESPECIALLY hurricane season. Like there is anything I can do to change the path of a hurricane. I’m also slightly obsessed with keeping my motorcycle spotless. Ride – clean. Ride – clean. What can I say? I’m ok with it.